Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Recipe Wednesday!

It's Recipe Wednesday!  It's new... don't worry, you haven't missed anything.  Has a nice ring to it, right?  I figured that if cooking is going to be my new hobby, I should probably share one or two recipes a week.  Last week I definitely downloaded 42 recipes to try.  Maybe I should do some kind of challenge like in Julie and Julia.  But the real challenge will be finding all the ingredients in our little store when I want them.


That is a picture of my amazing strawberry scone.  The recipe is called "Scone for One".  Perfect.  Especially since I am just one.

Making scones used to scare me.  I have no clue why.  Seriously, no clue.  Then I found this recipe.  And it was so easy and quick!


A Scone for One
  • ⅓ cups Flour
  • ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Cold Butter, Cut Into Small Cubes
  • 2 Tablespoons Chopped Frozen Strawberries
  • 2-½ Tablespoons Milk
Preheat oven to 450 F.
In a food processor combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Pulse the butter into the dry ingredients until it breaks up and resembles crumbs. (I don't have a food processor.  I used a fork and my fingers.) Next add in the strawberries and milk and pulse (or stir with a fork) until the dough pulls away from the side of the mixer, which should only take a moment.
Carefully pull the dough away from the blade and shape into a circle, patting it to about 1/2 inch in thickness. Bake at 450 F on a piece of parchment paper for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Let cool slightly before digging in!


You can substitute anything your heart desires for the strawberries (2 Tablespoons[ish]).  The original recipe (found here) calls for dried cranberries and walnuts.  Maybe I'll try banana next time.


Yum!  Spread a little butter on it, grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy!

Today I came up with something completely out of character for me (and the fact that it has carrots in it makes it crazy to think I ate it)... a Veggie Burrito!  I know, I'm sure it's been done before.  But when you're looking at a pile of veggies you bought at market on Monday, and you know your body is severely lacking that nutritious food group, the simplest idea seems brilliant.


I used the burritos from this post (yum!), loaded it with shredded cheese, and added lots of veggies: lettuce, tomato, carrot, zucchini, and snap peas.  Then topped it off with a little bit of Ranch dressing, a little mustard, and a dash of salt and pepper.  The veggie options are limitless! You could use avocado (would have if I had any left over), arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, onions... See?  Plenty things to choose from.

Hope you enjoy all the Recipe Wednesdays to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment