Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Recipe Wednesday {Apple Chicken Curry}

I think I'm going to grow to absolutely adore cooking.  I've always loved to bake, I think because I'm a rule-follower by nature, and you can't really change baking recipes unless you know baking rules- which I don't.  You have to follow it to the letter.  But recently I've discovered that I have a pretty adventurous side [hello... I moved to Papua New Guinea].  And with cooking, you can get pretty adventurous!

I used to think I hated all things curry.  The first time I had it, I think the person just cooked plain chicken and tossed some curry powder over it.  Yuck.  Then my sister introduced me to the Thai cuisine and I found out that curry isn't so bad! 

Side: I miss Tin Drum.

So I stumbled upon a curry recipe* a couple days ago that sounded pretty awesome, and I decided to make it.  And our store happened to be out of curry powder that day (except for the really spicy kind... no thanks), so I opted for curry paste.  Then the dilemma: do I get the green curry paste or the red curry paste?  At the moment, I felt like red was a grand option.  [I had never in my life cooked curry anything before.]


So I began the adventure.  I started with the recipe I found.  But by the end, I had created my own dish.  And it was pretty amazing (not just according to me, but to my friend Meg, too).

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Apple Chicken Curry
servings: 2 or 3
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes

2 T butter
1 medium apple (chopped small)
1 small onion (chopped small)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into small, bite-sized cubes)
2 T red curry paste
2 T flour
3/4 cup warm chicken broth
3/4 cup coconut milk (or 3/4 cup milk and 1 T coconut milk powder)
dash salt and pepper

In a large frying pan, saute the apple and onion in the butter over medium heat until soft.  Stir constantly.
Add the chicken.  Let cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add curry paste and flour.  Stir and let cook for a minute.
Add chicken broth and coconut milk.  Stir and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.  
Add salt & pepper to taste.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Serve over rice.


Make sure you adapt it to suit your adventurousness!  Enjoy :)

*Adapted from this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment