I’ve always been so awful at coming up with goals for myself. Especially at work. Until now!
I met with my supervisor last week and told her what I’d like to do now (working in the finance office) and long term. The things I’d like to learn and be a part of. The people I’d love to work with and help out. Other roles within the organization, which sound so exciting for the future, if I ever do get out of doing accounting. Things that excite me now more than they ever did before.
I don’t know if all that I envision will ever be fulfilled, but now I can finally say that I can make goals for myself. And that makes me happy.
I remember one time I was asked to write out goals for my previous employment for the coming year. I think one of them was “do the bank statement reconciliation in one day instead of two”. I mean, that’s a pretty good feat to accomplish, where I worked. But what a dumb goal for myself. (Although I did accomplish it.)
I think I liked my bubble. I didn’t want to “expand my horizons”. I didn’t care about “shooting for the stars”. I liked where I was and didn’t care about growing. And maybe I was afraid that if I dreamed something big (and let people know about it), that it’d be shut down, or worse, that I’d never be able to accomplish it.
Now… well all of a sudden I have all these big ideas envisioned for what I could do in my work for the Lord. I have excitement for the many different ways He could use me for the rest of my life. And I love that through all this, He’s showing me so much more about Himself than ever before. And more about myself!
Maybe all this could have something to do with being in a completely new place, with completely new people, completely on the other side of the world. I don’t know, but that sure sounds like breaking some kind of bubble.
I was a little shot down the other day when I expressed some of my goals. But it doesn’t bother me at all. And I’m pretty sure I’m not bothered because, at this point, my goals are still a little premature. They’ll happen in God’s perfect timing. AND I’ll be even more ready for them. OR maybe things will be even better than I dream.
But now it’s a little easier just to express them. And I’ll keep telling God what I want to do and then let Him change my plans and work it out in His sovereignty. :)
---
Check out this cloud! And the moon! I took this pic on my last night at POC before coming to Ukarumpa.

Brandy,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your journey. Your walk outside of your broken bubble continues to inspire those of us on the other side of the world. Love and prayers as you continue to walk, serve, and live by faith. ~Tricia
Brandy, you encourage me as I dream big of what God may call me to do one day in His timing. I love just writting Him letters telling Him what I'm willing to do....just serve Him for His Glory
ReplyDelete