Papua New Guinea is absolutely breathtaking!
I arrived at the Madang airport Monday around 4:30pm. I was on the flight with a few other people who are also attending POC (Pacific Orientation Training). The airport is so small! They brought our luggage up to a table and set it on top for us to grab. Side note: I’m so thankful for luggage carts and gentlemen. Up until that point I’ve had use of a luggage cart the entire time I needed it, and then here had someone willing to carry my bag to the truck and off the truck.
We piled ourselves and our luggage into the back of a truck with a roof over our heads and wooden benches, and then set off up the hill to our camp. Madang is on the north coast of PNG; the higher we climbed, the more beautiful the ocean scene became. We finally rolled into camp around 5:30 to be greeted by staff and other students who arrived ahead of me. I was so tired! I hugged the few people I knew, then went straight to my room. We had dinner almost immediately, but I was pretty much a zombie!
That night I went to bed before 8 and didn’t get up until 6am. I finally started feeling like myself again Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday morning we took a trip into town. Somehow all my towels were packed in my things sent straight to Ukarumpa and I totally forgot to pack shampoo and soap, so I picked up some of those things. I was overwhelmed by everything, so I didn’t get much else!
I’m taking this adjustment a lot better than I thought I would (for now!). In the mornings and evenings it’s kind of cool… at least cool enough to sleep comfortably. Around 11am it gets super hot and sticky, and you’re pretty much sweating until the sun starts to go down. No A/C here! There’s no way I can take a nap during our “quiet hour” after lunch… it’s so hot! But sometimes I’ll be walking around and all of a sudden come across a spot where the wind is whipping around. And it’s a pretty cool wind, so it feels wonderful!
We have wireless internet. I paid about $25 for 300 MB of downloads… we’ll see how long that lasts me! It worked great Tuesday night, but I’m having trouble getting on it lately. It goes in and out. I turned off all pictures from being downloaded, so when I get on facebook, I can’t see anything you’ve uploaded!
Ok, I guess that’s enough reading for you for now. Here are some pics (I hope they're ok, I can't see them!!)…
The sunrise this morning from our camp
Our dorms
My mosquito-netted bed and mom-made calendar
My corner of belongings
Psalm 121
A song of ascents.
1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;
8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.
he will watch over your life;
8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.




Hi Brandy,
ReplyDeleteI could not help but cry when I saw your "new home" and your "new surroundings". Some of my tears were caused by me not getting to say goodbye to you and that's my fault.
I do want to support your ministry while serving in PNG. Where would we send our check and how would we know you are getting it?
Gosh Brandy, you left your beautiful home in America and took on the world of missions to sleeping with no A/C, hot and humid. Please know that we will be praying for you.
I love reading about your continuing mission and look forward to more pictures.
Love,
Veronica
Brandy, I am so thankful you made it safely to PNG. Thank you for sharing updates with us so we know how to pray for you. God is going to amaze you over the next few weeks, months, and years!!! I can't wait to hear what He does in your life. Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you;do not be dismayed, for I am your God.I will strengthen you and help you;I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Be blessed and know that my husband and I are praying for you daily. Love in Christ, Bonnie Annis
ReplyDeleteFYI- iphone users that weren't grandfathered in and have a limit on data usage... they get 300 mb a month! it might last you a while! Love you!
ReplyDeleteBrandy,
ReplyDeleteIt looks like God has chosen you for a special and unique adventure. I'm so glad that you are keeping a blog. I'm sure you will treasure it and the memories of you adventure ahead for years to come. I'll be praying for you as you continue to face the difficulties of living life in a new culture, in new surroundings, and away from your family and friends. I am certain that God is going to use this time to draw you into an even more intimate relationship with Him. I look forward to reading about the details.
You're in my prayers.
Tanya Belvin
Tanya, thank you so much for your encouraging words! I hope you're doing well. If you get this, let me know your email address, please. :)
DeleteBrandy