Have you ever wondered where cocoa powder comes from? Wonder no more! Here's a cocoa plant (my village had a few plantations). And the pic on the right is during the drying-out process on the ground. Be thankful there's not a lot of cocoa-drying going on in the states. It smells like a mixture of chocolate (good) and smelly feet (bad). It's like there's a war going on in your nose when you walk by. I guess the sun pulls the bad smell out to leave us with that wonderful product we get back home.
My village is a turtle sanctuary, so they have a guest house! It's dilapidated and run down now, but it used to be a little place where marine biologist would come study the enormous turtles that would come ashore to lay their eggs.
A couple canoes in the sandy grass, waiting to head out for the day.
Watched a house frame go up in a day. A big group of guys went into the woods, gathered and cut lots of trees, carried it all to your new home location, then hammered it all together! When you want to build yourself a new house, you just go into the woods and gather your supplies!
A beautiful day at the beach
This was the only time in my 5 weeks there that I made it up in time to watch the sunrise.
One of the guys in the village caught a kapul (a small marsupial). It was so cute! It was sneaky, though, and got away.
Everyone checking out the kapul
This is my waspapa's mom. She insisted on speaking only in their heart language to me, even though I insisted that I had no clue what she was saying. :)
This is the veranda of my house. It's a great place to sit and chat!
Several times during my village living, I got to see my lovely friends, Luke and Laura. The left pic is of us at Madang Resort the time we took a public vehicle into town for the day. The right pic is Luke and Laura standing on the very beautiful reef right near my village. They live in Wewak, PNG. I miss them!
One day... I'll be back.











No comments:
Post a Comment