Sunday, May 27, 2012

Be Choosy {with food}

I was told a while back that you can't get peanut butter in the country of Papua New Guinea.  Who ever told me this was wrong.  And because of this, I packed 2 2.5-lb jars of JIF peanut butter in my suitcase. ("Choosy moms choose JIF!"  Even though I'm not a mom, I still choose JIF.)


So I'm very thankful for my 5 pounds of JIF peanut butter that will last me for a few months, but I'm also pretty thankful that I can get a decent jar of peanut butter here whenever I run out.

Have you ever had homemade tortillas?  Sadly, I had never experienced them until I came to PNG.  Only those store-bought things.  Now that I've had fresh, homemade ones, I'll never go back.  Every week a few national ladies make them to sell.  I bought some this week.  They are amazing.  And because they are so readily available (if you can get your order in in time, or make them yourself), tacos are a pretty normal meal around here.

I used one of mine to make a breakfast burrito... eggs, cheese, ham, sour cream, salsa... amazing.  And it goes so well with that morning cup of PNG coffee.


They had huge boxes of Bisquick in our store last week.  Bisquick pancakes are so wonderful to me.  I made banana/pineapple (using juice from a fresh pineapple I bought in the market the day before) pancakes one day (that lasted me the rest of the week).  Yum.


They sell pizza crusts in the store.  I know: "Stop being lazy and make your own pizza crusts!"  Whatever.  I can be lazy if I want. :)  I used 3 kinds of cheese: mozzarella, chedder, and colby.  They don't have real pepperonis in the store, but they do have salami pepperonis, and they're almost just as good!


I also made some pretty awesome guacamole the other day.  Even much better than the one I slaved over in this post, and it's so much easier!  We have an abundance of avocados in our market.  Sorry to say that there's no picture of my guac! (recipe below)

And I made some of my all-time favorite cookies... no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies.  They take forever to dry in a super-humid climate, but they were amazing!


----
Here are some recipes for you...
 
Flour Tortillas
Combine 2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt
Cut in 1/4 cup oil
Add 1/2 cup water
Toss with fork to make stiff dough.  Form into ball and knead thoroughly until smooth.  Divide dough into 12 balls (this makes huge, bigger-than-your-plate size tortillas).  Let rest 10-15 minutes.  Roll or press as thin as possible.  Drop onto a very hot ungreased griddle.  Bake 30 seconds, until freckeled.  Turn and bake second side briefly.
After a few days of sitting in the refrigerator, these make great tortilla chips
(recipe from my POC cookbook)


Banana-Pineapple Pancakes
make up a batch of your favorite pancake mix, whether bisquick, homemade or other
add 3 smashed bananas and about 1/2 cup of pineapple juice
cook and serve with hot maple syrup or a strawberry topping (or both)


Guacamole (to serve 5-8 people for tacos, double or triple as needed)
2 avocados, smashed
juice of one lime
garlic salt, to taste
pinch of salt
about 1/8 cup chopped cilantro, or more if you really love cilantro
stir all ingredients and let sit in the refrigerator for a couple hours
serve on tacos or fresh tortilla chips


No-Bake Oatmeal Cookies
(recipe here)

No comments:

Post a Comment