Pacific Orientation Course (POC) is located in the same area
as the Papua New Guinean people group of Nobnob. We’re about 1,200 feet above sea level near
Madang. Most of the workers that POC
employs are Nobnob people.
They’ve had a language program in place for many years. The New Testament was completed and dedicated
in the early 90s. The Old Testament
translation is completed but it has to be checked before it can officially be
printed and dedicated. A couple from the
US has been living among the Nobnob people, and now here on the POC grounds,
since near the beginning (if not the very beginning) of the translation process. Pray for Ulys and Verna as they work along
side the Nobnob people in completing the Old Testament. They are about 75% through with the checking
process.
Sunday we got to visit a local church and be a part of their
congregation. It was founded by
Lutherans, so it follows the Lutheran culture, including liturgy, which is very
different for me! All of us POC
participants had to go up front twice, once to sing a song and again to
introduce ourselves, say where we were from, and what work we’ll be doing, all
in Tok Pisin (the trade language of PNG)! When we got there, there
were maybe 15 people in the congregation.
By the time we stood up to introduce ourselves, there were at least 50
in the church, and several outside listening to us!
This is what we sang (“This is the Day”):
Dispela de, dispela de
God i bin wokim, God i
bin wokim
Yumi amamas, yumi
amamas
Yumi litimapim nem
bilong em
Dispela de God i bin
wokim
Yumi litimapim nem
bilong em
Dispela de, dispela
de, God i bin wokim
And this is how I introduced myself:
Nem bilong mi Brandy (My
name is Brandy)
Asples bilong mi
America (I’m from America)
Wok bilong mi em olsem
meri bilong stretim ol fainans bilong Ukarumpa (My work is to straighten
the finances in Ukarumpa)
In my next blog, I’ll post pictures of building my outdoor haus kuk (kitchen), the fire that I
built and cooked on, and the hike down to the tuna factory! :)
P.S. This is my 100th blog post!

Brandy! Every picture you post is STUNNING! I can't believe how pretty it is there! Good job talking pigeon. I'm impressed.:) Happy 100th blog post. I love you and miss you so much!
ReplyDelete