Several of you have asked what my schedule is like, so I
thought I’d let you all know! I’m 15
hours ahead of you on the East coast… Here’s a look at
what a normal (if those exist) weekday looks like:
6:00am | Rise and shine!
This is about what time the sun starts rising, too. And I haven’t had to use an alarm clock to
wake me at all… usually the birds, roosters and insects have already done that!
7:00am | Breakfast.
The normal is granola, yogurt and fruit (with some cinnamon-sugar
sprinkled in). There are so many
bananas. Good thing they’re my favorite
fruit! I eat at least 3 a day. I’m going to be sick of them in a couple
weeks!
8:00am | Classes. We
usually start out with Tok Pisin (the
trade language) classes: we sing a couple songs, read a portion of Jonah and
discuss the meaning of the words, have a lesson with a national tisa (teacher). Some mornings we go into the town of Madang
to the market or other stores.
9:30am | Tea time. We sit with our Tok Pisin teachers while
we have tea and biscuits and can only speak in Tok Pisin! Yesterday we brought pictures of our
family to explain how we are related to each of them.
10:00am | Lecture time.
We have classes on PNG history, geography, medical advice, anthropology,
etc.
12:15pm | Lunch. This
is usually our biggest meal of the day.
And it’s always so good!
1:00-2:00pm | Rest time.
I can’t take naps… never have been good at it. So this is when I try to get online or do some homework or whatever. And this is the one time (if the internet is working) that I can maybe actually talk to someone back home.
2:00-4:00pm | Hands-on class time. Mondays we hike. Wednesdays we go swimming in Nagada Harbor (I'm up to 5 laps! That's 5/8 mile). Today we learned to build an
outdoor haus kuk (kitchen). One day we’ll learn to bake bread. And lots of other useful things for living in PNG.
5:45pm | Dinner. I
love to eat. :)
7:00pm | Some nights we have group fun times. And other times we just hang out, check our email and facebook, or do homework!
8:30 or 9:00pm | Bedtime! We’re always so exhausted by now!
And now you have an idea of what a day in the life of a POC
(Pacific Orientation Course) participant looks like! But it of course never looks the same :)
Here are some pics for you...
Meal time
A flower some of the girls picked
Swimming at Nagada (that rope in the water to the left of the pic
is what we swim laps around. 8 laps is a mile)
Our dorms (this picture was supposed to be in my first blog from PNG,
but you guys didn't tell me that I uploaded the wrong picture!)







No comments:
Post a Comment