I went to Walmart on Tuesday to find one more thing I needed for the black skirt, and found some beautiful peachy-pink fabric (Spring skirt?). Little did I know (and no thanks to my mother who did not warn me), it's some of the worse fabric you can work with. It's thin and very flimsy. So I chose a white to layer under it. But I didn't have any thread or a zipper to match, so I took a little trip back to Mary Jo's today. Since the first skirt took about 15 hours, I knew this one would probably take longer, so I've put it in a drawer for a later visit home.
There was this one fabric at Mary Jos that I fell in love with on Monday (think: Fall, my favorite). But I really had no clue what I could do with it, and my imagination was not at its height then, so I left it alone. After dreaming about it for 3 whole days, I decided I should buy the last 1 3/8 yards of it that was remaining in the store. And I also bought some thick black elastic. And NO PATTERN! My imagination was in full swing today. I created my own pattern and sewed away. This one only took me 4 hours!!
So...
My very first skirt: used a pattern, black, good wear-ability, 15 hours labor. I give it a 5, mainly because it's boring.
My second skirt ever: perfect fabric, great colors, a knockoff from another skirt I used to own, but I made it without a pattern, the pleats are fantastic, it fits like a glove, and it only took 4 hours. I give it a 9... only because the stitching could be a little straighter :)
Seriously, doesn't it look like a forest of fall leaves?
Oh, those pleats...





Good job, Brandy! I'm so proud! Will you make me a black one with elastic for Christmas? K, thanks. :)
ReplyDeleteMy mom has been sewing for like 40 years and she can't do it without a pattern. I'm very impressed! You are MEANT to be a missionary!
You go girl! You exercised much more taste with your first sewing projects than I did. I once made myself an entire navy and white polka-dot ensemble for Easter. Bless! And I completed the outfit with none other than navy and white shoes, of course! Can't wait to see your next projects!
ReplyDeleteyay! did you go back to Mary Jo's and get the floral print?! It's pretty... I still think you need to get that yellow color :D Great job!!!
ReplyDelete