Friday, December 10, 2010

Satisfaction

"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."- John Piper
My youth pastor used this quote once on a mission trip when I was in high school and taught one little lesson out of it, and I've never forgotten it.  Recently, it's been on my mind a lot.

What does it take for us to be satisfied in Him?  Why do so many of us require to know the future to be satisfied?  We are always asking God: what do You have in store for me? What are You doing in my life? Why am I still going through this hard time? Why aren't you fulfilling my dreams that are totally in line with Who You are?  Why have You even given me these passions and desires that You aren't allowing to happen right now?  Why do I feel so far from you, and why won't You reveal Yourself to me?

Why can't we just be satisfied with Jesus Himself?  Paul said, "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.  I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling." (1 Corinthians 2:2-3)  He was satisfied with knowing nothing except Jesus- the fact that He came, took our sins on Himself on the cross, rose again, and is alive today.  He didn't have to know the details to know that he just simply had to be obedient in every little step, and God would handle the rest.

You make known to me the path of life; 

you will fill me with joy in your presence, 
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Psalm 16:11

Take delight in the Lord,
and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!
Philippians 4:4

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 6:33 

Let's find our satisfaction in knowing Jesus and Him crucified, not in knowing what He's doing or why He's doing it.  And if He's being silent, it's got to be for a reason... and that reason must be pretty good, because it's Him.  He is God and I'm not.  And once we do that, He's allowed to be glorified how He should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment