From Wikipedia...
A Ferris wheel (also known as an observation wheel or big wheel) is a
nonbuilding structure consisting of a rotating upright wheel with passenger cars
(sometimes referred to as gondolas or capsules) attached to the rim in such a way
that as the wheel turns, the cars are kept upright, usually by gravity.
I cannot say that I rode a Ferris Wheel at our Carnival on Saturday. I shall call it a Terror Wheel.
A nonbuilding structure consisting of many pieces of unknown metal,
which makes an upright wheel, with tiny seats and a seat belt,
attached to the rim in such a way that as the wheel turns
the cars are swayed back and forth threatening to throw you 20 feet
into the crowd of excited future-riders,
built who-knows-when, not connected to the ground,
controlled by 11th- and 12th-grade boys.
That is the definition of a Terror Wheel.
Side note: No offense to the master creator of this thing.
I'm sure it's absolutely stable and perfectly built.
The guys turning the wheel took my screams of terror as squeals of delight. And that I wanted to go faster. And since I couldn't stop screaming, I couldn't tell them to slow down. Maybe next year I'll get on it only with a young, scared child in my lap, so that they have to go slow "because of the child".
After that, I was able to have a pretty awesome day. I got to...
enjoy cotton candy
get a "tattoo"
"win" a food steamer at the auction
hang out with lots of fun people
and eat lots of great food! Oh... and get a pretty painful sunburn. Worth it!
Don't you wish you lived here? :)









No comments:
Post a Comment