Thursday, November 22, 2012

Recipe Wednesday {Apple Turnovers}

I bought apples from the store a couple weeks ago.  Because they were there.  And they were Granny Smith.  I really don't like eating Granny Smith apples plain- too sour.  So I went searching for an apple dessert recipe- it is Fall, you know- I mean, it's definitely not Fall here.  But I had to do something!  And I had some puff pastry in my freezer.  So my search "apple puff pastry" turned out this delicious concoction. 



~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Apple Turnovers
prep 15 min
cook 20 min
servings 12

3 square puff pastry sheets, cut into quarters (making 12 5"x5" squares)
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, diced
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/2 t apple pie spice (or cinnamon)
1/2 t cornstarch
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 t vanilla extract
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
1 t milk
sprinkles of cinnamon and sugar

Place oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, mix together apples, sugar, apple pie spice, and corn starch, making sure the apples are well coated.  Mix in the applesauce and vanilla.
In a small bowl, mix the beaten egg with the milk and set aside.
Divide the apple mixture onto the middle of each of the squares of puff pastry, leaving a 1-inch border.  Fold each pastry into a triangle, enclosing the filling, and crimping edges with a fork or your fingers.  Brush the tops of the pastries with the egg wash.  Cut 2 small steam vents in the top of each turnover.  Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over each.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden.  Cool turnovers to warm before serving.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And now I'd like to introduce you to Dan and Diane. 


They're my "Uka-parents".  I like them a lot.  We went through POC together.  They have two kids around my age.  They take care of me. :)  I served these apple turnovers at Diane's birthday lunch!  Topped with whipped cream, sprinkles, and a candle.


Ok, Happy Thanksgiving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment