Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight," declares the Lord.
Jeremiah 9:23-24
A few days ago I was walking to work, praying, "Lord, give me wisdom today in what to say and how to say it." You've prayed that prayer before. I know you have.
All of a sudden, in the middle of praying, I thought, "Am I asking for wisdom so that people will think I'm smart and know what I'm doing, or am I asking for wisdom with the hopes that my display of wisdom will glorify the Lord?"
I know that most of the time I want to look smart. I want people to think that I am wise. I don't ever want to look like an idiot. It's all about me.
Proverbs 2 says that if you seek wisdom, "then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God." It doesn't say that you will always look smart or that you will never look like an idiot. I think being human comes with the guarantee that you're going to look like an idiot sometimes, if not most of the time.
So let's not pray for wisdom for the sake of being wise, so that we can delight in our wisdom. Let's pray for wisdom for the sake of boasting in "the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness." Those are the things in which the Lord delights. That's what we must delight in.
Oswald Chambers said this:
My goal is God Himself, not joy nor peace, nor even blessing, but Himself, my God.
(My Utmost for His Highest, July 12)
No comments:
Post a Comment