Monday, March 19, 2012

Plenti Piksa

How about a piksa (picture) post?

Let's start off with some animals.  I haven't been able to capture a lot of them on camera, but here are a few...
This guy spreads out to larger than my hand.  He was found in a wood pile next to our dorms.
I believe the guy who found him shrieked like a little girl.  Wouldn't you?

This guy was about the size of my hand.

This is Becca holding what she thought was her new pet. Although he was dead.

And a close up of her new pet

And this is Milo, our directors' dog.

A couple times a week we venture down the mountain into town or to swim or some other little adventure.  I think one would describe our road as treacherous... or worse.  And we have one main source of transportation.
The Hino

This is a flat bed truck.  With 3 wooden benches.  And a ceiling (praise the Lord).  And no seat belts.

We had a really nice afternoon at a really nice beach one day.  We snorkeled.  And enjoyed the white sand between our toes.  (Forgive my lack of pedicure)


During our time at the POC campus, we have been assigned a local family to get to know, eat meals with, practice our Tok Pisin, and learn local culture from.  They are called our local wasfemili.

Me with Wasmama in her haus kuk (kitchen)

And me with my wasfemili

I posted a while back about a haus kuk that my roommate and I had to build and use to cook our food during 5 weekends.  Well, here's ours!

Last week we had to buy our food for all of village living.  That's 5 weeks of food!

The load of things I bought from the POC store
  
All my food.
You think that's enough for 5 weeks?  I don't know... at least I have Corn Flakes.  And 9 jars of peanut butter.

Oh, did you know that you could keep eggs without refrigerating them for weeks?
Since I haven't died yet, I know this to be true. :)

And lastly, I'll leave you with a lovely sunrise...


In the next couple days, I'll post about my village where I'll live for 5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment