We have a major assortment of food here. Everything is pretty much made from scratch, but we have had everything from burgers (cookout every Friday night) to pizza, tacos to fried rice, local cuisine to Korean, fresh fruit all day, spaghetti, tons of soups, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, birthday cake on everyone's birthday... everything!
Here's our cookout spread...
And on Sunday afternoons we go to a resort called Jais Aben. And we get to eat chips (fries for us Americans). Huge steak fries. And lots of Heinz ketchup. Yum. And Coke! (Oh, see that basket behind my ketchup? That's how big a basket of fries is. Wow.)
And ice cream.
Well, it's not real ice cream. It's probably made out of milk powder or something, just like our milk and yogurt.
In my haus kuk (the kitchen my roommate and I built outside to practice cooking over a fire), I baked brownies and bread! I've always loved baking better than cooking. Maybe it's because I'm a rule-follower and you have to follow all the rules in order to bake. You don't have to follow all the rules to cook.
Anyway... they turned out amazing! You use a pot oven, put sand in the bottom of it, and set the baking pan on top of tuna cans inside, and make sure you have a medium size fire (not too big, not to small). And viola...

And here's some of the local cuisine... chicken, kaukau (sweet potatoes), cooking bananas, potatoes, and taro- all boiled together.
And a selection of yummy fruit.
This country is seriously overrun with bananas. (I'm not complaining.) There are tons of different kinds! Yellow, green, red, blue (I haven't seen those yet, but I've heard they're out there).
So there you go.








No comments:
Post a Comment