Tuesday, August 17, 2010

valleys.

I'm not in a valley right now.  But God has shown me a truth recently about them that, in the last couple weeks, He keeps telling me through different sources... ok, God, I think I've got it now!

If the only reason that God allows us to go through a valley in our lives is to force us to look to Him, rely on Him, and grow more intimate with Him, then it's absolutely worth it and is the only reason we should ever need.

I see people going through hard times: sickness, heartache, loss, etc.  And I used to struggle with that... why is God allowing that in their life?  They're such good people, they love Him, they serve Him.  Then I looked at some of those people and saw that they are wholeheartedly seeking God through their valley... and I had a light-bulb-over-the-head moment.  They're growing so much closer to Him, learning so much more about Him and themselves, than they ever would have on a mountain!  And just think of the next mountain, bigger and better than the last, that He's preparing them for!

Just look back at your valleys and mountaintops... Which one causes you to seek Him, question Him, and ask of Him more?

To top that off, Dr. Stanley preached his 29th Life Principle yesterday: "We learn more in our valley experiences than on our mountaintops."  I'll probably buy it... and let you listen to it. :)

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)  We may not understand, but we can be confident that God is good and that what He's working out in our lives is good, too.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post. Exactly what I needed to read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're always so thought provoking! I enjoy reading about your new adventure in the making and can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete