... that was the "Merit Award" I got during our training graduation. I'm pretty sure I'm still a city girl, but now I do know that I can survive in a village in Papua New Guinea for at least five weeks.
I don't remember if I wrote about this in a post or not, but during the first few weeks of my training, still at our training center, I was sure I'd be the first ever to fail. I hated the hiking, making fires, having no air conditioning, taking cold showers, cooking over a fire on the weekends, being alone. I even thought that I'd for sure die in the village! :)
When it came closer to time to go to the village, I was ready to go, but just because I wanted to get it over with. When I found out information about my village, I got pretty excited, but mainly just because I was getting to spend [what I thought would be] the worst time of my life on a beach.
Also, one of the main reasons for POC is to help us learn how to build relationships with Papua New Guineans. I know God didn't call me here to just do a job, without ever relating to the nationals. I could have stayed in the States to do that! But still, I didn't really know how in the world I would be able to develope relationships with the people in the village. It usually takes me a while to develop relationships with people of my own culture, who speak the same language I do. How was I going to do this with people of a totally different culture and language?
Well, I did it. And it was amazing. Those five weeks I spent in the village of Karkum was the best experience of my life. And I fell in love with my wasfamili (host family). They are incredible, godly people. And God used them to teach me how to love Papua New Guineans.
Wasmama and Waspapa (Veronica and Pastor Larry)
"But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress."
Psalm 59:16
God gave me that verse on day 7 of 35 in the village. And I've gone back to it so much since then. He is all that to me... he never has to prove it, but he did in the last 3 months. The only reason I was able to absolutely thrive in that setting was, without a doubt, because God is my strength, my steadfast love, my fortress, and my refuge.
Thank you so much for going to God in prayer on my behalf.
Etna, me, Salina (sister), Viola
Mercy (sister), me
Salina, Ruth, me
The 5th week there, I was a mess! Knowing I had to leave that Thursday, I cried off and on all week. And when I left, I bawled for half of the ride back to POC (that's an hour and a half ride).
I'm very thankful for cell phones. Because of them, I can call my wasfamili anytime I want. And if I'm ever in Madang again (which I will be, don't you worry), I can hop in a taxi and ride an hour and half to visit them.
I know you want to know details about village living, so there's more to come!





you did it! and loved it! that's wonderful to hear. Thanks for sharing how you saw God be your fortress. I'm proud of you :)
ReplyDelete