Sunday, January 22, 2012

Confessions of a High Maintenance Missionary

A precious friend just sent me this verse:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened,
and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9
What if I don't feel like it's possible to be strong and courageous?  What if all I want to do right now is buy a plane ticket back home and cancel all my plans that I made for Papua New Guinea?  What if I just want to go into a corner and cry for days?  What if I can't do it?  What if the tears never stop?

I know the truth.  I know that I can do this because God called me to it.  And He promises to do everything if I hand over control to Him.  It's hard.  I'm such a human.  I'm so selfish.  And I'm so high maintenance.  And I miss my family and friends so much already.

Why in the world did God decide that it would be a good idea to send me to a place like Papua New Guinea?

So this is my song for today.  This is what I'll pray until He gives me a new song...


God, I may be a high-maintenance, selfish human being that is already morning the loss of technology and her hairdryer and already misses her family and friends terribly.  But the truth is that You have everything under control.  You are the giver of joy.  You are my Rock.  You know me way better than I know myself.  Therefore, You must have great things in store for my future.  And that is why I say "I trust you."  I trust you to renew my joy.  I trust you to protect me.  I trust you to put the perfect people in my path during this journey.  I trust you to take control.  I trust you to fill me with wisdom and discernment in how to be obedient to you.  And I trust you to fill me with strength and courage as you have full control to do your best in my life.  May I always be a vessel for your will and purposes.
Love, Brandy

"He has put a new song in my heart, a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord, and put their trust in Him."
Psalm 40:3

No comments:

Post a Comment