This week is FBA's annual Missions Conference. Today was the day that our faith promise missionaries were there all day, and I got to see old friends and meet new ones! I even got invited to England to visit one of the families I just met today! I should probably go. :)
The theme for the conference is "For the Sake of His Name", using 3 John 5-8 as the scripture reference. You should read the whole book (it's short!). John compares two men: one who is living as he should, especially in the way he hosts and supports missionaries; and one who is not living as he should- he wants everything done his way in the church. But the part we focus on for the theme is verses 5-8 (speaking of the one who is living right):
Dear friend, you are faithful in what you are doing for the brothers and sisters, even though they are strangers to you. They have told the church about your love. Please send them on their way in a manner that honors God. It was for the sake of the Name that they went out, receiving no help from the pagans. We ought therefore to show hospitality to such people so that we may work together for the truth.
This passage had such a huge impact on me last year. It's so exciting to be involved in the sending of missionaries, to support, encourage, and love on them. It's why our missions conference exists! We kept the same theme from last year, but I honestly can't think of how any other scripture fits this time any better.
Tomorrow night we get to shower the missionary ladies with love! It's called "Shower of Love" and we eat great food, listen to great music, and hear a great speaker. Most of all we get to talk with and pray over the missionary that sits at our table. I'm hosting Marilyn McBride, who, with her husband, were FBA's first Faith Promise missionaries. They are with Wycliffe, and I met them when I visited JAARS back in April.
And then I have to miss the rest of the conference. I'm going home Friday so that my family can go to my grandma's house and clean for her all day Saturday! It's our birthday present to her.
And here's a little pic for you from my travels to Helen, GA last Friday, on the trail to see Anna Ruby Falls!
No comments:
Post a Comment